About Me

I am the mother to 6 children and former foster mother to 2. I am passionate about whatever it is I am passionate about, until I change my mind. I dream big, plan big, and once in a while I even make it big. We are planning to take our freak show on the road. Join us as we embark on a new adventure!

Monday, May 01, 2006

This is the post from Friday that I never got around to posting. More to come later!

Joshua woke up this morning with blood oozing out of his ear. I called the ENT guy and left a message at 7:05. By 12:50 when I hadn’t heard back I called again, and they never got my message, but the doctor wasn’t in today anyway. By that point his primary doctor was already closed for the weekend, so we went to the urgent care center.

The doctor there refused to believe that he didn’t stick something in his ear. She asked me in an accusatory way if he didn’t stick something in his ear. I told her that I didn’t directly ask him but he is 10 and didn’t say anything…she tells me “never assume” then asks him.

“Did you stick something in your ear?”

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“No.”

“Did you say, “I don’t know?””

“No, I said I didn’t put anything in my ear.”

She turns and talks to me for a minute, then asks him again, “Are you sure you didn’t put something into your ear?”

“Yes.”

Did you put a pencil in your ear?”

“No.”

“A Q-tip?”

“No.”

“A pen?”

“No.”

“You didn’t put anything into your ear?”

“No.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Is it itchy?”

“Yes.”

“Did you itch it with something?”

“No.”

Never assume…and never believe someone when they give you the same answer 20 different times!

She gave him an antibiotic, but wasn’t able to see his ear drum or discern the cause of the bleeding.
We went last night to a dance performance at Colby. It was amazing. I called in advance and found out the program was appropriate for children so you can imagine my horror when I opened the program and saw that the first dance was entitled “Women with big balls.” Yikes! Fortunately it was just that. Women dancing with those big pilates balls. It was awesome! Super creative. We all had a great time, then after there was a whole spread in the lobby with cheese and fruit and chocolate and punch and such. Wow.

No comments: