About Me

I am the mother to 6 children and former foster mother to 2. I am passionate about whatever it is I am passionate about, until I change my mind. I dream big, plan big, and once in a while I even make it big. We are planning to take our freak show on the road. Join us as we embark on a new adventure!

Friday, August 18, 2006

We are still having a great time at the cabin. The kids love the golf cart so much that they cut new trails for it through the woods. We cleaned out two little ponds while Patty was back at her “other” house last week. I couldn’t post about it because we wanted it to be a surprise for her. There were so many cool things to look at like tadpoles and salamanders. Gary, Joshua, and I were on scoop and dump duty, Katherine and Noah were on rescue and relocate duty, and it seemed to me that Matthew’s job was to slow down other jobs, and he was very good at it! The pond clean out was a lot of work but it felt good to be working hard for someone else.
Don’t tell anyone, but Joshua did one pond almost entirely by himself. He worked his tail off. Certainly the new trail would not have happened without him. I am amazed at what he has been able to accomplish out here. I think that we need some acreage to keep him busy!
We finally made it into Woodstock, the place where the festival did not take place. Those of you who know me IRL (in real life) will find the following statement hard to believe. I have trouble believing it myself, but I LIVED it! Here goes; I was the most normal person in Woodstock New York. Yes, it’s true. I was normal. *I* was the mainstream. I have to tell you it was damn uncomfortable. Woodstock has always had an appeal for me. It has been in my mind a place where I always thought it would be comfortable to live because I would be among like minded people. Apparently I am not the only freak to ever think so. The problem for me with the abundance of freaky people in Woodstock is just the variety of freaky people. It isn’t just Hippies, or Crunchy Types living there, but every flavor of freak you can imagine (and even a few that you can’t!) and it is just plain overwhelming! Even the wildlife is freaky. We took a little walk while our laundry was drying. We encountered a squirrel who appeared to be snacking on a mouse. It was a pretty gory scene and more than a little disturbing. I was sure that it must be a rabid squirrel although I was leaving room for the possibility that since the humans in Woodstock were all vegetarians that the vermin felt a need to create a balance. It was weird. We came home and googled “mouse eating squirrel” and found out that it is a rare phenomenon to have a male squirrel go a little nuts and (brace yourself!) EAT BABY SQUIRRELS! So it wasn’t a mouse, but a baby! Oh, the horror. I don’t ever want to go back there. Whoever is keeping tract of my ever growing lists, please add Woodstock, NY to the “Places Kerry does not want to visit again” list. Thank you.

No comments: